Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Keeping Myself Alive


Keeping Myself Alive..I never imagined that this would be such a difficult task, but as the daylight outside dims while I work inside a brightly, artificially lit room, I realize I am losing myself. In the midst of working and pretending to work, I start failing to see what I am working for. Though the rains outside give a watery embrace to the trees, the roads, the old yellow buildings, I sit neglected inside my room, viewing everything through a window which cannot be opened because the AC is on. So, each day is a battle to keep “what I am working for” alive. Though the “part I am working” grossly overshadows the “part I am working for”, I try nevertheless. When I come out of my “ working” place, my first instinct is to curl up on bed and sleep off. But I can’t let my day end like this; let another day go without finding myself for a few moments. So, I rush to the nearest book store and spend sometime among the familiar smell of new books. I take a book, sip a tea and watch the rain cascading over the glass panes outside. Sometimes, I just walk, on the red asphalt pavement, covered by orange and red gulmohr petals. Sometimes, I intentionally keep my umbrella inside my bag. I stop by each street vendor and taste their fare and discover a few delicacies, like the onion-less and garlic-less “ghughni” (chaat) that one old chap sells. He sits with his large pot of ghughni (which he miraculously carries on his head) on the pavement and dishes out his fare with a sour ”chutney” and onions. It’s not only the taste; his customer skills will put any hotel management student to shame. I chat with him, ask about the secret of his recipe, knowing that I won’t be able to produce the same taste. Sometimes, I go and sit in the Ramakrishna Mission, attracted by the startling peace there, though I am not a firm believer in anything. I feel nice there, being among people, trying to find life in a completely different way. My rebel feelings towards the normal way of life find refuge there. Sometimes, I take tea in totally dingy-looking, decrepit tea shops, watching people who are so different from me, but happy anyways. And in all these moments, I find myself alive, taking in each sight and sound, alert as ever. I find myself again, smiling and loving life. I keep an account with myself and each night I enter how much time I have debited to keep myself alive, to keep life inside me. The whole life has been sacrificed to be something someday, and now that I am something, I should spend my life trying to be something bigger? Nay…am not falling for that again. I am going out. It’s raining.

12 comments:

Mita said...

Beautiful piece ! So true..how we forget to discover and re-discover ourselves everyday. "Working to become something in life" seems to be overshadowing the personality - the simple child within us who enjoys the simple pleasures of life but we are still not happy and always in a rat race!
Well-written!

Nilanjan said...

This piece very well captures the mad race that we are into where we just don't know where we are running.
Excellent piece...

Nirvana said...

wow.....simply wow.....

i have always been a fan of ur writing and have followed ur posts closely....i assume that u are writing something after a very long time....lemme tell u something, with this piece u have moved ahead into a totally different league....ur thoughts are much more organised and convey a much better and vivid meaning....

i ll give my babblin mouth some rest and i go back to the post again....it touched, it moved and it created magic....

love it!!!!!!!!!!

Suman Mukherjee said...

Though the “part I am working” grossly overshadows the “part I am working for” - trueeeeeeeee....

Keep them coming....
And couldn't agree more :-)

Gaurav Shah said...

Nice... & True...
A gymnast pushes hard to get the Gold, once he gets their he feels he is unhappy because someone else has a better record and i should beat it, he himself invites dissatisfaction from life as he is living dogma(life on others expectations).

Voice said...

How did I miss reading this earlier?
I believe you have found ur life, let me venture out to find mine!

Thanks for ringing the bell - simmilar to those huge bells at school during tiffin breaks, its time for a break!!!!

santiagopilgrim said...

we hav all been through dis in ur pro lfe....whr d very purpose of lfe is being ques....n thngs lke "wat r v living 4"...pops up in d head....bt dis has been by far d mst optimistic piece bout it i hav ever read......i know m repeating myself bt.......thanks 1ce again.....ur posts hav lots of hope.... :)

Kakoli Mukherjee said...

Thanks for ur comments santiago..living without hope is equivalent to death..hope to be hopeful always..:)

santiagopilgrim said...

"living without hope is equivalent to death"....very true....bt dere r times ven u fnd urself in web with truck load of negativity around dat u fail to see even a sparkle of hp.... i hp wenever i fnd myself in dat situation again i hav one of ur posts to keep me gng......keep writing.... :)

Soumya said...

Oh !! Spectacular !!!

"...The whole life has been sacrificed to be something someday, and now that I am something, I should spend my life trying to be something bigger? Nay…am not falling for that again. I am going out. It’s raining...."

touched the core of my heart and I bled in appreciation. Beautiful !!!

Kakoli Mukherjee said...

@Soumya..thanx re:)

Kakoli Mukherjee said...

@Santiago..I understand what you are saying...such situations do come when you are engulfed in pitch darkness..but you know what is the best thing about them? They don't last forever! Just hang on (and eat chocolates:))

Nostalgia: First Lancer Road

Today, I discovered that my hair clutcher is a memory object. A regular glance at this mundane, plastic accessory drowned me into a vortex ...