Saturday, June 22, 2013

Cleaning A Wardrobe on A Lazy Afternoon

Why, it's just a wardrobe, I tell myself
And yank open the doors fighting my long-time inertia
I close my eyes, so as not to see the things I have long avoided
The sarees, the photo albums and the meaningless bric-a- brac of a housewife.
I guard myself against the memories that wrap its tentacles around my resisting brain
I try to conduct it in a business-like manner, sorting out the junk
Only to realise I do not know which is the junk, which the useful ones
In my own house, there is a wardrobe that belongs to no one.


Why had you kept this scrap book of mine, I want to ask her
Or why had you stocked up these woollens that I wore when I was seven?
I realise I have to decide about them now, this personal memorabilia preserved for so many years,
For reasons known only to her.


I find that she had already bought dresses for pooja
She had carefully stored all the trinkets gifted by me in an ornate box
She had book-marked recipes in a magazine, her children were coming home the next month
Apparently, she  had not envisioned what lay in store.


I turn a philosopher, my best weapon in times of crisis
And reflect on the transitoriness of life
I spread mothballs on her beautiful sarees, keep a couple more in the empty purses
All the time imagining her doing the same thing over the years.


I close the doors of the steel keeper of memories with a loud clang
It's legacy too difficult for me to take over
I had been always been admonished by her for my messy wardrobe
But again, I realised, a few wardrobes are better kept untouched and disorganized.

No comments:

Nostalgia: First Lancer Road

Today, I discovered that my hair clutcher is a memory object. A regular glance at this mundane, plastic accessory drowned me into a vortex ...